After watching the dual debates by Republican and Democratic Party candidates for governor of South Carolina held by the Palmetto Family Council broadcast by WIS-TV last night, a few things got my attention.
- This was the first real debate held so far – or, at least, the closest thing to a real debate we’ve seen so far.
- Does anyone else get seasick watching Gresham Barrett sway back and forth, back and forth, back and forth like a weeble?
- Seems to me the Democrats did a better job of answering the questions directly than did the Republicans.
- Robert Ford. Bless his heart:
- “Sowf Ca-lina”
- “DE peepa” (THE people)
- I guess it’s a Louisiana accent (He’s from Louisiana.)
- Jim Rex seems like the Democrat’s Henry McMaster, though a bit more cosmopolitan and Vincent Sheheen a Dem Andre Bauer with a little Gresham Barrett mixed in.
- When asked to give a one minute promotion for bringing high-tech jobs to Allendale, Ford said:
- “Well, first of all, I might not need your business to come to Allendale County because my campaign manager has been in over a hundred a hundred movies and films, and we got a very complex film industry that we would propose for Sowf Ca-lina if I become governor.”
- He also said this “very complex film industry” proposal would bring “100,000 jobs” to the state.
- Followed by, “I did help pave the way to make the racial climate in Sowf Ca-lina better by resolving the confederate flag issue, and that’s one of the reasons Boeing and other industries is coming to Sowf Ca-lina.”
- I’m pretty sure this can be filed under “WHAT THE HELL?”
- The Republicans stood to respond, the Democrats sat. I think it’s because the first Democrat question went to Senator Ford and he just didn’t want to stand up.
- Jim Rex said his “positive name ID is probably worth a million and a half to two million dollars.”
- Jim Rex? Positive name ID?
- He also said “I don’t know that TV ads make that much difference any more. I watched three ads the other night and they were followed by an erectile dysfunction ad. That was almost appropriate.” That was a pretty stiff way to spin the fact that he hasn’t raised much money!
- I liked the set. The plants made the debate very homey.
- Judi Gaston is MAD cool!